Monday, October 02, 2006

Emerald City, here I come

Four days until the Emerald City Writer's Conference in Bellevue, Washington. I'm really excited to attend this. I wanted to last year but wasn't able to. I am fully and completely aware that this is a writer's conference. I'm a writer, I get it.

But I'll tell you a secret. My biggest point of excitement for it is to get to meet Katie MacAlister. As you've probably heard, or read, me say this dozens of times. Her book "A Girl's Guide to Vampires" is what catapulted me into this crazy romance dimension. Thank God it did! I'm so unbelievably happy in what I'm doing it makes my cheeks hurt from smiling so much.

Writer's are readers first. And I know I'm going to go totally fan girl when I have a book signed by KatieMac. I still remember the moment when it all clicked for me. When I read that book and realized, this is what I want to write. Not what hadn't been working for me over the previous few years. But funny, romantic books. It was the light bulb moment to end all light bulb moments.

I'm also really excited to see a lot of people I met in Atlanta this summer, and meet new people. It will be great to get to know the Pacific Northwest writers.

I'm also nervous. In Atlanta it was more carefree for me because I wasn't there for a lot of pitching. I was there to learn and meet other writers. But now I have something to pitch and it scares the piss out of me!

I also get nervous in social situations and I'm really bad at remembering people's names. I'm good with faces and all things visual, but names generally elude me. Don't be offended if you catch me eyeing your name tag. I don't expect you to remember my name.

All in all this will be a great weekend. Social fears and fan-girl moments aside, I hope to learn a lot and meet some great people. And on my way there or home I hope to stop by Pike Place and grab a ginormous boquet of gorgeous fresh flowers. And maybe buy out the Yankee Candle store. I wonder if they still sell the gardenia, pineapple and plumeria scents...

So - are you going to Emerald City? I hope to see you there!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about the social situations. Everyone will want to talk about what you love...writing. Your personality is electric and everyone will love you.

Knock then dead! But not to dead or they can't help you with your book.

Stan

Stan

Lisa Pulliam said...

You're a sweetie, Stan :-) Electric, I like that. Haha! Maybe I'll actually grow balls to pass out my gorgeous business cards this time.

Anonymous said...

Katie is a hoot. She was at Emerald City last year and had everyone in stitches. Is still remember her reading a fan letter to us that turned out to be from a guy in prison that wanted her to send him some hair.

Practice your pitch. Over and over. I pitched for the first time last year and repetition is what gave me confidence. I narrowed it down to about five key sentences and repeated them until I could say them in my sleep.

The group pitch sessions are good. It gives you a chance to listen to other pitches and mentally critique them and their lousy project. Being with 5 or 6 other pitchers helps take the pressure off you.

The conference is a good size. You won't feel like a tiny fish in a huge ocean. Its easy to keep track of the people you know and find them to sit by at dinner.

Speaking of which, Rose City usually tries to get everyone to the same table for meals.

I'll see you there.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Wish I was going with you! I want all the details when you get back.

And don't worry. You'll do great with the pitching. If you want to practice, you know where to find me. ;)

Paty Jager said...

Pitching isn't bad, just show your enthusiasm for your story and you'll be fine!

Lisa Pulliam said...

Kendra - A guy that wanted her hair? Hahahahahahahaha! I bet she gets some wacky stuff. That's great advice. I suppose I should write it so I can practice it. See you there!

Eli - I wish you were going too. Paty and I need someone to harass :-) I may be bugging you today for pitch practice. muhahahaha

Paty - Enthusiasm...yikes! Hahaha! I'm hitting the "why would anyone want to read this" stage. I'll move passed it. We all do. See you Friday!