Thursday, October 12, 2006

Editing













This is how I feel right now. I'm editing. Da Da DA (with menacing music in the background.) I have yet to figure out the editing process that works for me, but I think I'm close to that point.

I really like the deep editing EDITS system. But I only feel that is beneficial once my draft is somewhat clean (i.e. all the plot stuff is fine and I'm just making it sound pretty). Getting from my horrid first draft to the point where I can use the EDITS system is what makes me want to rip my hair out.

I feel overwhelmed, like I don't know where to begin. But I've read what a lot of other people do and thought about what works best for me and I think I've figure out something that may work.

Lisa's Ten Steps of Editing Hell©
Step one: Make sure there are no places where I left a comment to myself of "add more description" or things like that. I need to be working from a complete draft for a good edit.

Step two: Make sure each scene has in it what it should. I refer to the list I make for each scene during the plotting proces, which has things like a piece of backstory or moving along the heroine's character arc, or adding another twist to the plot.

Step three: Go through and highlight various components a certain color. That way I can just focus on dialogue or setting on a read-through.

Step four: Try and leave the book alone for at least a week. If you can, don't think about it either. Start thinking about your next book. That way when you return you are looking at it with a fresher mind and sharper eye.

Step five: Read the manuscript line by line, making sure each one is in top shape.

Step six: Read and analyze each paragraph, making sure you are packing a punch with each one.

Step seven: Analyze each page, making sure I get the most from the spacing, etc.

Step eight: Read each chapter, making sure it has everything you want in it and makes you want to continue reading to the next one.

Step nine: Read through the whole book and look for grammar, punctuation, typos, etc. It's best to wait until you're basically done changing text around.

Step ten: Save the book as a new file and format it to print like an actual book. When reading it like it would be in a paperback, you may catch things you didn't before and see spacing problems that you otherwise wouldn't have seen until the copyedits stage. Here is how to print it like a paperback: Open up the page setup menu in Microsoft Word (under the file menu). In the margins tab, make it 0.39" all around. The gutter should be 0.16" and gutter position as "left." Under the paper tab, select "custom" as the paper size and manually put in 4.25" x 6.89". Under the layout tab have the section start at "odd page." Select the box that says "different odd and even." Make the header and footer each 0.2". Click ok.

What is your editing process?

9 comments:

Bonnie Staring said...

Oh Lisa, you couldn't have picked a better time for me to discuss edits! I'm trying my best to stick to Holly Lisle's One Pass Manuscript Revision but feel like I need about 87 more passes. I agree with Holly's concept, but the writer in me can't help but want to keep on polishing forever. Love the tip about printing it like a paperback, I'll have to try that for my next, oh, I mean final pass...

Lisa Pulliam said...

I totally forgot that Holly had the revision thing on her Web site. THANK YOU!!!! I've been trying to read about lots of processes lately. I'll have to take a look at that one.

I agree with you about wanting to polish forever. It's so hard to know when to stop. It seems like it's a fine line between making it good and ruining it with too much editing.

Good luck with your edits :-)

Cheryl said...

I read "Revision" by something-something Kaplan (John Michael? Michael David? Gah, I can't remember) and it was very enlightening. Check your local library for it.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

I love that picture. That's me. Even when I'm not revising. ;)

Lisa Pulliam said...

Thanks Cheryl! I'll look into that. I also forgot about the book "self-editing for fiction writers." I should pull that out and read it this weekend.

Elisabeth, yeah. Me too :-)

Paty Jager said...

The key to the final edits is to take that break from the story and go back with a fresh mind.

IMO

Karmela said...

God Lisa, you are so organized! Here's my editing process:

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, melt upgrade it.
Charge it, pawn it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it, rip it,
Drag and drop it, zip - unzip it,
Lock it, fill it, curl it, find it,
View it, coat it, jam - unlock it,
Surf it, scroll it, pose it, click it,
Cross it, crack it, twitch - update it,
Name it, rate it, tune it, print it,
Scan it, send it, fax - rename it,
Touch it, bring it, obey it, watch it,
Turn it, leave it, stop - format it."

In other words, I have no method to the madness.

**Credit: "Technologic" by Daft Punk**

Lisa Pulliam said...

Amanda - I'm noticing that as well when reading other stuff. Talk about frustrating! :-)

Paty - I completely agree with you. When I read something I'm working on and change it, if I've read it often enough before the change I will read it the old way. Not good for editing.

Haha! Karmela, I love it. I'll have to download that song for editing :-)

Lisa Pulliam said...

S William, there's no better way to put it. I think I'm going to type that up and frame it above my desk.