Sunday, October 01, 2006

And so it begins

My favorite time of year is upon us. October 1 is a great day. It signifies that the weather is cooling to the crisp, red-nosed, sweater-bearing temperatures that I prefer. The leaves are changing colors and falling in a way that makes Oregon absolutely beautiful.

Only 30 days until Halloween! Then Thanksgiving is right around the corner and Christmas is just a hop, skip and jump from that. I love, Love, LOVE the holidays. December 26 is the most depressing day of the world to me (not including the 50% off Christmas decorations). I've never cared about or really celebrated New Years so the holidays end at Christmas for me.

I guess I should have my furnace lit so I have heat in my house. It's starting to get pretty cold at night and in the morning. Other than cleaning today, I'll be making Halloween decorations. Boy do I love this time of year. I should hide my keys from myself so I'm not tempted to go see School for Scoundrels. Two hours I can't afford to waste :-)

I'm off to dig out my sweaters. Then make pumpkin streamers, lollipop ghosts and egg carton spiders. Oh happy day!

3 comments:

Jennifer McKenzie said...

I'm with you Lisa. My best friend and I have a holiday tradition. Right after Thanksgiving we spend an entire weekend making Christmas cookies for gifts. We have a blast. Last year we made 72 dozen cookies, three batches of Almond Roca and four batches of something we call "Those Friggin' Marshmallow Things."
At Halloween, my husband and I visit a little roadside stand that opens after Labor Day. It's a apple orchard with pumkins, apples and other fresh veges. Best thing? Every year, four gallons of Clendenen's Apple Cider.
Have a great time.

Lisa Pulliam said...

Ooooh Jen that sounds like so much fun! 72 dozen? Daaaaaaaaamn that's a lot of work ;-) Your Halloween tradition sounds fun too!

S William, are you doing anything creepy on your birthday? Have fun! And happy early birthday :-)

Elisabeth Naughton said...

My daughter's dying to get all the Halloween decorations out. In my old age I find all of that more work than it's worth.

Is it too early for Bah-humbug?