Sunday, February 26, 2006

Writing on track

My weekend was well spent. I got a lot of things done.

*I went through several drawers of random papers and filed them or threw them away so that I can prepare for taxes and organize the office
*I prepared a nifty writing nook in the office. I took a couple of those plastic drawer stands, the ones with three drawers, and laid a piece of wood across the top. A perfect makeshift table. I put my writing books there, writing supplies, charts, etc. Now I can write when I get home from work - away from the damn TV
*I finished Laurell K. Hamilton's Incubus Dreams - done with the Anita Blake series. Oh wait, Micah comes out on Tuesday. Damn! Good news, I finally read Bitten & Smitten by Michelle Rowen. It's been waiting patiently for me to finish the Anita Blake series. I took advantage of the break until Micah and I devoured it. It was a fantastic book! I'm going to read it again in a couple weeks because I plan to make a plot chart of a few of my favorite books so I can get a good idea for pacing and plot movements.
*And most importantly - I got a good understanding and outline of my book going. I had already written about 10k, but I hit a wall with the plot. I knew where I needed it to end up, but I just couldn't get there. But now I think I got it.

Here's the new goal: first draft complete on April 21st. Not before, not after. That is my birthday and if I write 1,500 words per day I'll hit my 90k goal on that day. It's a Friday so I already had planned to go drinking with a couple of friends, now I can add celebrating the completion of the first draft. Sounds good to me, more reason to chug some vodka. Stoli's baby, yeah.

Some of my plot points have changed enough that I have to start over with the writing. But I think I can salvage a large chunk of it with a rewrite, so hopefully I can get ahead of the goal. I've got major turning points and plot things briefly outlined through the middle of the book. I figure that once I get a better idea of the story, characters, etc. plotting the second half will come easier.

Boy am I babbling tonight. I guess I just spent too much time thinking this weekend ;-)

No comments: