Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Brief summaries are HARD

So, I'm making business cards as a "writer." I have a totally cute design on the front, pink of course! However, I'm trying to write a brief summary of my book for the back of the business card. I figured that would be business savvy so people had a better chance of remembering me later if we talked about the book, or if we didn't talk about my book it's still getting the word out.
I figured it should be 25 or 30 words. You know, brief. Riiiiight. I've narrowed it down to 90 words. This is very difficult, but I know it needs to be done. It's like crafting an elevator speech, but I'll call this a "passing by in the bathroom" speech - it has to be that quick. I think. Or is 80 or 90 words ok? It fits fine on the card, but I figure agents and editors want to see that you can succinctly summarize your book because the PR/marketing people will have to do it too.

I haven't even finished the damn book and I'm worrying about other things. Why am I neurotic? No, it's not neurotic, it's business savvy. Right? Sure? Right? No? Ok. Oh well. It's easier than writing right now so I'm doing it. So neener-neener-pumpkin-eater.

In other news, I forgot to rinse out my pink coffee travel mug thingie yesterday. I don't drink coffee so why would I have one? Well, I have this fantastic thing called the Magic Bullet. You may have seen the informercial, it's enthralling. Folks, it actually works. Honest to God, I don't get paid to pump there stuff (unless you want to pay me Magic Bullet people), it's awesome. I make fruit smoothies before work each morning and within 30 seconds it blends about 6 ice cubes, a banana, about 8 frozen strawberries and water. There are no ice chunks, it's completely smooth. And the nifty blending cup you use makes just enough smoothie for my BEAUTIFUL coffee/smoothie mug. Back to the story at hand, I get sidetracked when thinking of the Magic Bullet. I forgot to rinse the fruit smooth residue and now it smells like rotten fruit. Pooh.

Here is a picture of my BEAUTIFUL coffe mug (and the pretty pink business cards that I'm proud of). My nifty cell phone takes pictures and I don't use that option enough, so I figure I'll be taking more pictures of random things for my blog. I'm easily amused.

No comments: