Friday, February 17, 2006

Will. Write. Damnit.

It's Friday, which means that day job is over for the week and moonlighting begins. No, I'm not a stripper, but I hear they make good money. I digress. The weekend means that I have to get my ass in gear on this manuscript. I need to have good working draft before the RT convention in May. Can it be done, you ask. I don't know. It seems that only experienced novelists finish their first 90k book in three months. Am I an experienced novelist, you ask. Well, no, this is my first novel. But can I do it, you ask. I kind of have to if I want an editor or agent appointment. Crack that whip!
Here's the math breakdown for all you geeks out there (like me). Three months to the day until the convention begins, approximately 90 days. Well, your first reaction may be - "Lisa, all you have to do is write 1,000 words a day and you'll be set!" Then I laugh in your face at your imprudence. Poor naive fool. You think my first draft will satisfy me? Ha! I scoff at you.

No, no, no, I'm just joking. You're not stupid, just common sense challenged ;-). So, 90 days, 90k words. Here's the plan - first draft done in two months. That gives me one month to revise and prepare a synopsis for the convention. Can I actually do this, you ask, again. We'll see.

I'm at 10k now, so I guess I just need 80k or so. That's about 1,333 words a day. Holy shit! Am I doing NaNoWriMo again? What the fuck? Excuse the language but that math does not please me.

(Stop bitching Lisa, you want to finish this book so that if an agent or editor happens to request it you can send it to them relatively close to the end of the convention). Yes, that's right. Yes, thank you inner diva.

To kick start this beotch, I hope to reach 15k by the end of the weekend. Wish me luck and send me chocolate vibes, that may help. I need some diet coke... Thank goodness for the Alphasmart 3000 or I would probably spend the writing time playing Age of Mythology.

No comments: