Thursday, August 31, 2006

I LOVE this book

Last night I started reading "He Loves Lucy" by Susan Donovan and I just finished it at lunch. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVED IT! It's one of those books that I connected with at this time of my life.

The heroine, Lucy, is overweight (what she weighed in the beginning of the book is about what I weight right now - hence why I connected with it). She snagged a health club as a client for the marketing firm she works for. She had an idea to find an overweight person and give them a year to lose weight, chronicling it all the way. It turned out that she was the person to do it. She falls for her hunky trainer, Theo, who is way more than a pretty face and tight ass.

Here's what I loved about it:
  • The character development - Lucy getting over the Taco Bowl incident and learning to trust the opposite sex and love herself (you gotta read it to find out what the Taco Bowl incident is); and Theo allowing himself to open up and give his heart to someone else after he'd been hurt before
  • Everything about the weight loss - it really inspired me, even more, to get out there and do it. I wonder if I could lose 100 pounds in a year. I probably could if I worked my ass off. And this book really helped me want to do it. I realize it's fiction, but the way Lucy changed as she lost weight would give anyone hope.
  • The menus - each chapter shows a day log of what Lucy ate, I may try eating that. I work better losing weight if I follow a strict plan, like written menus instead of figuring it out myself. So I'm going to try the Theo and Lucy diet.
  • The fat chick scored the hunk. Who wouldn't love that?

I wholeheartedly recommend this book. I'm going to read it everytime I get down in the dumps about weight loss.

I end with these final words: You Rock Donovan! (you gotta read the book to get it)

5 comments:

Karmela said...

Lisa wrote: The fat chick scored the hunk.

I haven't read the book, but from your description, it doesn't sound like it was the fat chick who scored the hunk. It sounded like it was the skinny chick. I actually don't like books whose heroines HAVE to lose weight to get the guy, and this book is like that, right?

Lisa Pulliam said...

I had that same concern before I started it - those types of books bother me too (which is one reason I also loved Conversations with the Fat Girl, he liked her heavier too). Susan Donovan did a great job showing the hero's development of feelings for her during the weight loss process. So as a reader, I believed he loved her heavier even though he didn't say it until she was thinner. I wasn't bothered by it at all.

Michelle Rowen said...

This is a book I would never normally pick up (why? No vampires), but based on your rec, I just might.

Lisa Pulliam said...

Haha! I'm the same way Michelle, it's really hard for me to buy a book that doesn't have vamps. I love to read them so much, why try anything else? But I've got a ton of TBR books from Atlanta so I decided to branch out. And I'm working on a contemporary instead of a paranormal right now, that's third person not first. So I'm reading third person contemporaries to get a feel for it. There's actually some good stuff out there. Right now I'm reading Match Me If You Can by Susan Elisabeth Phillips. So far it's good.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Have you read Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie? (Won the Rita last year). Same premise - heavier girl, hot guy. It was cute, and there were some roll-on-the-floor funny parts. And she didn't lose weight to get the guy.