Thursday, August 03, 2006

Great writing tool

I, like many, am going through the post-RWA Nationals writing frenzy. I learned a lot and got some great ideas brewing in my mind. Now I want to use them and go full steam ahead on my Shiny New Idea (hereby referred to as SNI.) The truth is that I began the frenzy mid-week of the convention. My poor roommates had to put up with me waking up in the middle of the night, grabbing my pen and paper off the nightstand and writing notes. In the dark. Can you say freak? I sure can.

I decided that I'm going to think about this book by scenes rather than a list of events - to me they're different. I think that will improve the action, pacing and make it easier to plot. So last week I sat down with my $15 lunch (sandwich, soda and fruit cup) and my trusty Alphasmart. I spent an hour coming up with the first five scenes. Aren't there usually 50-60 scenes per book? That's a lot of Alphasmart time. I may actually have to change my batteries.

I realized that I needed a tool to help me plot my book, I'm new at this and just can't do it all on my own. I used some of the First Draft in 30 Days worksheets. Several of them helped get the ball rolling, but for my need at this point in time, it won't get me all the way there.

Then, I remembered that I own Writing the Breakout Novel by Donald Maass and the corresponding workbook. I hadn't looked at it before, but I sat down with them both last night. I skimmed the book then dove into the workbook. Bypassing the explanations and character sections, I jumped to the plot exercises. Holy wedgie Batman! It's just what I'm looking for! (Bear with me, I know this is jumping between present and past tenses.)

It breaks things down into scenes and subplots and threads. It asks questions like:
* What would make your novel's central conflict worse?
* What are the circumstances under which my protagonist(s) would actually fail to solve the problem?
* Assign a character to enact each complication.
* What are some other problems, not related to the central conflict, that your protagonist(s) will face? Use those as subplots.
Etc.

This may look like a nightmare to some of you. But I am a list-obsessed-control-freak-who-needs-medication-yesterday. When I looked through these questions, pieces fell together in my head. It points me in the right direction to the elements that will make a great novel. It helps weave those elements together. And it will help me reach those 50-60 scenes, easily. There are so many little tricks and tips in there. I can't wait to use it! I know what I'm going to do this weekend.

Is there a resource you've found that turned the light on for you?

5 comments:

Michelle Rowen said...

A great book for plotting (it walks you through ever single plot in your book) is The Marshall Plan. I went through it a few years ago and in a couple of days I had a full linear plot of a novel I probably will never write. But still. It was a good exercise.

Michelle Rowen said...

I meant ...every single "scene" in your book. Need coffee.

Lisa Pulliam said...

Thanks Michelle! I called a half dozen local bookstores and found one that has one copy of it in stock. Whew. I'm not the most patient person :-) Weekend of plotting here I come.

Michelle Rowen said...

Did you just lighten your pink background. My eyes thank you! . ;-)

Lisa Pulliam said...

Yeah, I didn't like the darker pink. It looked one way on my monitor, then I saw how it looked on a couple of other monitors. Yikes! So yup, I lightened it. My eyes are happier too. I may lighten it some more.