Friday, August 04, 2006

Weekend o' plotting, here I come

I'm looking forward to the weekend. My one and only goal and mission, should I choose to accept it (I did, FYI), is to plot out my SNI (for those who missed the last post or forgot, that's my Shiny New Idea).

I typed up all the exercies in the Writing the Breakout Novel workbook into Word so that I can type out answers instead of hand write. My wrist is crooked 45 degrees so longhand hurts after about a page. I'm still just as jazzed about it as before. Turns out upon further inspection that part of the exercises can be done during the plotting process and some can be done during revisions - talk about a multi-purpose book.

Per Michelle's recommendation, I have The Marshall Plan workbook on hold at Border's, which I'll purchase immediately after work today. They asked if three days on hold is enought time. Ha! I only need three hours. So I'll be plotting with that as well.

Since I'm, uh, unique, I'm going to break down my weekend to see how much time I have to plot my book. I consider my weekend beginning tonight at 7 p.m., once I'm done running errands. Let's say my weekend ends at 9 p.m. on Sunday since about then my dog will be crawling on my keyboard demanding attention and I'll have to stop working.

That leaves me with a 50 hour weekend. Minus 20 hours for sleeping (hey, I was at RWA last week, I've got some catching up to do). So 30 hours minus six hours for showering, getting ready, eating, errands, etc.

A full day for plotting. Except, I started reading Secret Society Girl by Diana Peterfreund last night, there's no way I'm not finishing that this weekend. Shave off three hours for that. Okay, 21 hours for plotting. I'll probably read another book because my TBR shelf grew exponentially since last week (gee, I wonder why) so we'll shave another three hours. Eighteen hours left for the weekend. I moved a few weeks ago and still have some boxes to empty, so if I take off four hours for that I've still got 14 left.

That's a lot of plotting time, I hope. It sounds like a lot, but I'm sure that once I dive into it I'll find ways to distract myself or I'll get Plotter's Block. I wonder if that's a real term. If not, I hereby claim it.

Does how my brain works scare you? It scares me. I don't know why I always break things down into number. I hate math!

Here's what I would like from you. If I don't finish plotting by the end of the weekend (my Monday morning post) - how should I be punished? Let's keep it clean folks, there may be children readers. No Diet Coke for a week? No chocolate for a month? No reading blogs for a day? Any other terribly ridiculous idea that will have me plotting like mad so I don't have to partake in the punishment?

3 comments:

Elisabeth Naughton said...

YOu are a twisted woman, there's no doubt about it.

Knowing your diet coke obsession, yeah, I think not having the sweet stuff for a WEEK should be a good enough punishment. No...WAIT...I've got it! If you don't get the plotting done by Monday morning, I'm not bringing your pink bracelet to the next meeting on the 15th!

Bwahahahaha...oh, baby. You so need to pack better, chica. ;) (It does look so beeeeeautiful on my wrist, you know.)

Unknown said...

I'm going to try and cram too - a book (LOL) in the 5 days my mom has the babes! I've plotted it... even have 2 chapters. Time to write the darned thing!

Lisa Pulliam said...

Eli-
Now that's some motivation, I'm getting my bracelet back ;-) I still don't know how I forget it! I'll blame it on getting up at 3:30 a.m.

Jenna-
Five days! Wowza! But if your mom has the kids, that's some pretty darn good motivation to write like a fiend. Best of luck :-) I find that writing goes much faster when it's plotted, less time staring at the screen.