Wednesday, August 30, 2006

13 days! Really?

I can't believe it's been 13 days since I last blogged. This alarms me because it feels like it was just two days ago. So I began reflecting on what has happened in the past 13 days to make it feel like it was flying by.

A wedding.

My brother in law got married last Saturday. I was a bridesmaid and I had planned the bachelorette party for the weekend before. Oh how I had fun with that. Penis shaped ice cubes, cookies, jello shots and blow ups. Not to mention a male blow-up doll I made the bride carry around with her. But some asshole at the bar we went to was jealous of him and bit the top of his head, so he deflated. It was a shame, we were the life of the bar with our blow-up doll. I took a flowered Hawaiian triangle top and rearranged it as underwear for the doll. You should have seen it, priceless I tell you.

You know the worst part? I was the only one who threw up out of all the girls and boys for both parties, as far as I know. I didn't drink at the male review (I won't go into details about that...) or the bar. But before we had gone out I drank some champagne, which I never drink. And we rode in a small bus - the driver drove like he was dodging bullets. Or at least that's how it felt to me. So by the time we met up with the bachelor party at Shari's after the bars closed, I was incredibly queesy. I was convinced to throw up, against my will. I have a big phobia of that, it was only the second time I had committed the act in about 10 years. But I just couldn't stand how awful I felt, so I did it. And it hurt like a motherfucker. I hadn't eaten for hours and hours, so just a little liquid. Too much detail? Sorry.

That's the tale of the sober girl puking at the bachelorette party. L-A-M-E.

Now to the wedding - that was my first time being a bridesmaid. It was fun. There were eight bridesmaids and eight groomsmen. Big wedding. The reception was fun, I drank about a dozen daquiris (with vodka, just how I like'em), several glasses of champagne, multiple swigs of wine from a bottle we passed around and a couple pulls of Southern Comfort and Kentucky whiskey from groomsmen flasks.

Did I mention I can hold my alcohol? I wasn't drunk, just tipsy enough to have fun dancing. There must not have been much vodka in those daquiris.

Now that the wedding has passed, I can dive back into my book. It's going well. I keep running into things I need to figure out like my hero's motivation, what's preventing the relationship through the book from his point of view, etc.

My RWA chapter gave me some great ideas to rework the opening and I've been incorporating those. I still plan to hit my target of finishing a first draft by October 6.

In other news, I'm determined to shed my abundance of fat. I ordered Winsor Pilates and wrote down my work out plan at the gym. And I have a treadmill in my garage. So there's no escaping it, I've gotta finish losing the weight. I've lost about 40 or so in the past year and a half, but I'd like to lose a lot more.

By the end of the year I'll be a whole new woman - a finished book and many pounds thinner.

4 comments:

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Oh, man. Champagne gets me every time. I haven't been to a wedding yet where I didn't get um, well, sick.

Glad you had so much fun. Now, back to the grindstone if you expect to have that first draft done in a month!

(Guess that means I should stop distracting you with literati at night, huh?)

Jennifer McKenzie said...

It's the bus ride that gets me!! Poor thing.
I'm doing the low carb thing (as you know) and I've managed to stick so far.
I don't know how much weight I've lost. We'll see.
You've lost 40? Fabulous!!!!!

Lisa Pulliam said...

Eli - no we should not stop playing Literati. If anything it's bettering my writing by improving my vocabulary ;-)

Jen - I'm so happy that you've been able to stick to no carb! It's definitely hard to do, well done :-) Do your clothes feel looser? Yeah, I've lost 40 but I got another 60 or 70 to go. When did I get so fat? lol

chanceofbooks said...

A whole new woman huh??? Go you!!! If you ever want someone to walk with, just give me a jingle. Puppy and I would love to join you for some exercise :)