Friday, August 11, 2006

Writing goals

I know I've tried this before, but some things in life threw a detour at me. So with this new book, newly titled "She's All In," (SAI from now on) I'm going to give goals another try. And what better way than to be held accountable than announcing them publicly on your blog?

I'm setting a goal of nine weeks to write the book. That's not including 100% of the revisions. That's a full first draft and solid progress on revisions. Why nine weeks? Two reasons: the Emerald City Writers Conference begins nine weeks from today and NaNoWriMo is in November. I hope to be able to start another book in November by either letting SAI sit for the month, or have sent out queries on it.

Nine weeks sounds insane to me. But then I tell myself that it's mostly plotted (which saves a lot of time staring at the computer screen wondering what should happen next), I don't have kids, I've got a steady 8-5 job so I have all evening to write, and I have a wonderful support system to keep me going.

I hope to write 2,000 words a day so that I can spend the weekends revising and catching up. There are many writers who take a year to write a book, many who take two weeks (including revisions). I hope that I can write speedy because I'd like to be prolific. Here's a great test for that, eh?

Here's my secret motivation: I hope that I'm so busy writing I forget to eat and lose a bunch of weight! Muhahahahahaha!

So folks, leave me your most harassing blog comments. Poke and prod me until I bleed words. I'm ready (imagine you hear the Rocky theme in the background).


Trying hard now
it's so hard now
trying hard now

Getting strong now
won't be long now
getting strong now

Gonna fly now
flying high now
gonna fly, fly, fly...

It starts today.


4 comments:

Jennifer McKenzie said...

LOL on the pic, Lisa. You can doooo it!
This writing thing takes commitment. You write with no results for months. Then, you have to set your baby up for criticism and rejection. Then, even if you're successful, the process starts all over again. You can totally do this because you've already got the hard part done. The plotting.
Don't wait for inspiration. Just write all you can.
We're behind you......kicking you.

Lisa Pulliam said...

I totally heard Rob Schneider there ;-) Thanks for the push, er, kick! I definitely need it. I hope you're able to do some writing with everything you have going on. Take care of yourself.

Anonymous said...

Love the pic too!
Hey I have a motivator for you. How about you give me $100 if you don't finish?? Hmm? Good idea?

Lisa Pulliam said...

Haha! Now that's some motivation Nienke!