Monday, September 18, 2006

Random round-up

Yup, another of my random posts. Or maybe I shall call is potpourri day? Isn't that the term on game shows for random shit?

Item #1: Kick booty workshop
On Saturday, one of the two RWA chapters I belong to hosted a workshop by Cherry Adair on layering the novel. She was fantastic - full of great info and hilarious. I'm definitely going to pick up her books.

She had some interesting points to make on career plans. First, the way to tell what's going to be big in two years is to see the flavor of what's in non-fiction hardcover now. For example, a couple years before Dan Brown's books came out there were a lot of religious non-fiction as well as after-life experience stuff.

Second, if you've been working on your book for longer than nine months then it's not the right book for you. You can't get a strong career going by taking that much time for books. She has a great point there.

Okay, gear shift. I'm reading a book right now that I can't put down. I started it last night way too close to my bed time (10ish). I was devouring it until midnight when I realized I should go to bed. I tried to sleep, but couldn't so I grabbed my flashlight and read a few more pages. This went on until 2:30 or so when I remembered everything I have going on today and that sleep is vital.

Is curiosity killing you over what book it is?


Pink's a pretty color. Don't you think?



Strawberries are delicious. I wish they grew all year. The same with corn. I love corn.


Still wanna know?


Mmmmmm...Diet Coke...fountain Diet Coke to be specific.



Okay, I'll tell you. I'm not good at keeping secrets from those I love. It's "Bet Me" by Jennifer Crusie. It's the first book I've read of hers. Man, I can't put it down. I keep sneaking a few pages at work here and there.

The dialogue and the banter between the hero and heroine is irresistable. I'm addicted. It's a great book so far. Not sure how it ends, but a gut feeling tells me it's a happy ending.

Let's see, what else? I just got a few character books I ordered from Amazon in the mail. I'll let you know what I think of them as I look through them this week.

Happy Monday everyone.

4 comments:

chanceofbooks said...

I love Bet Me! One of my all time favorites of Cruise's and I love all her stuff.

I saw Cherrie Adair at Nationals and I loved her stuff. What she says about Career plans makes a lot of sense. Now, I just need to implement it :P

Paty Jager said...

We'll see Cherry Adair at Emerald City. Looking forward to the trip! If my books come! ARGH!!

Lisa Pulliam said...

I picked up a couple of Cherry's books yesterday. Unfortunately I don't think either had the infamous camel or helicopter sex scenes.

I hope your books come Paty!!!

Lisa Pulliam said...

Me too! They would be a hoot to hang out with. I often feel the same way about the cast of the show Ed.