Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Multiple WIPs

Let me start by saying that Montana is brown. Very brown. I'm specifically speaking to the Billings area where I just spent the last almost-week. It reminded me of Reno in that you're driving along then, BAM, it dips down and there's a city.

Also, the beef is very different there from what I'm used to. It's much more condensed and has a different flavor.

On to writing things. I was reading a post by Karmela Johnson about having multiple works in progress at once. I've been thinking about that a lot lately too. Things are going good with my current WIP, but I keep getting the crap kicked out of me by the idea fairy. As of right now there's a contemporary (which I'm working on), two paranormal series (one I really, really, really feel excited about) and a contemporary YA idea that are hounding me non-stop.

I'm making notes as I think about them so when the time has come to work on the next one I'll have a place to start.

BUT (a big, hairy, but),

One of the paranormal series ideas won't leave me alone, even when I write down ideas. Writing something down just spurs more thoughts and needs for research. It's crowding me so much that I'm thinking about it more than the contemporary that I'm working on. Not good.

I can't just switch WIPs again. I won't write a bunch of unfinished books. That's the fast track to Nowheresville in the desolate Non Existant Career region, complete with a map and guided tour.

So now I'm in a bit of a pickle. I refuse to stop working on the contemporary, but I feel the need to work on the paranormal series idea before I lose all hope and inspiration.

Could it be possible to work on two books at once? I multi-task like there's no tomorrow. Most evenings I chat on messenger, watch TV, read a book and play a computer game at once. And keep my third eye on my naughty dog.

But that's not working on two books, not even close.

On the other hand, maybe it will help keep things fresh during the first draft of each. When I'm stuck on one I can turn to the other, and visa versa. Then when revision time comes I can solely focus on one. Doing a thorough polishing, go to the other and give the first time to sit. And keep going like that.

Maybe it could work and it sure as heck would boost my productivity.

What's the saying? You never know unless you try. Well, I'll give it a try. Worse case scenario: I just keep plugging away on my contemporary if it doesn't work. And that's fine with me.

5 comments:

Elisabeth Naughton said...

I think every writer is different, and each writer writes differently. Some writers have multiple wips, some have one WIP/one book they're revising, and some can only work on one thing at a time. The key is figuring out what works best for you and then doing whatever that is. :)

How's that for a vague answer?

That said, I've never been able to work on more than one project at a time. Right now, however, I have three - two WIPs and one book in plotting stages. I think the reason I'm able to work on several is because I haven't immersed myself in any one story yet. Once I do, I suspect I'll be stuck there until either a) it's done, or b) something forces me away from it (IE a sale, a needed proposal on book 2, etc. etc. - hey, a girl can dream, right? LOL)

I say start the paranormal and keep working on the contemporary too. You'll quickly figure out if you can do both or not.

Lisa Pulliam said...

I like your vote, I agree. So I'm working on both. So far so good. I've increased my output on the contemp. quite a bit by rewarding myself with fun research on the paranormal. Isn't it fun to trick yourself? Knowingly...haha!

You're right, better get used to it before you get published Eli ;-)

Michelle Rowen said...

Whenever I have too many projects on the go I never finish any of them. And if you lose hope and inspiration on the paranormal after a few weeks, then you probably weren't meant to write it in the first place. My vote is finish the first draft of the contemporary, then go back to the paranormal.

But what do I know? Maybe the other way will work for you. :-)

Karmela said...

According to the full-time writers I've talked and emailed with, the life of a full-time writer means multiple wips. They say you're always revising something AND writing a first draft WHILE plotting a yet-to-be-written one. They say that working one wip at a time is actually pretty unrealistic given the demands/timetables of publishers. So -- you're actually getting good practice right now for when you chuck the ol' day job to follow the dream!

Lisa Pulliam said...

Michelle - you have a great point about losing inspiration. I think I'm going to keep writing the contemp but spend time plotting and brainstorming the paranormal when the mood strikes. Because this one will take more worldbuilding than other projects I've worked on.

Karmela - That makes a lot of sense. Prolific is the name of the game! It's funny how adaptive writers can be when the need arises.