Wednesday, April 26, 2006

E-publishing

I've decided to try submitting to e-publishing. I understand the readership is probably smaller than most print runs, but the experience of going through some sort of an editing process, having deadlines, doing self-promotion, etc, would be invaluable.

At this point I'm going to try writing some short stories or novellas and submitting them - romance to the softest side of erotica. I think writing shorter bits will help me concentrate on character development at a quicker rate.

The idea hadn't occurred to me until I recently saw an opportunity to send in a writing sample for an opportunity to publish a couple of short stories. Although I wasn't accepted in the end, I sent in one sample and they asked for more before turning me down. That's one step right? Not a flat out rejection.

We'll see how it goes. I wrote a short story (not any bit of editing though) a few months back that could be fun to submit. I'll try polishing it up and see where it takes me. At this point I'm trying to find e-publishers that accept less-than-novel length romance fiction.

This revelation brought on the internal debate of pseudonym or no pseudonym. If I write any form of erotica, will it hurt any potential romance readership if I get published? Or does it work best to build awarness of one name, no matter the genre (unless it's YA or inspirational)? So many things to ponder while I procrastinate on writing.

No comments: