Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Review: Laurell K. Hamilton's "Micah" & more

I tend to shy away from expressing any sort of disappointment or frustration with a book. I've been learning how hard and time consuming it is to write a book, so if I don't like it I can keep it to myself and try something else. It's someone's baby, you know?

I'm sorry but I just couldn't keep my mouth shut on this one. I read Laurell K. Hamilton's Micah. Let me begin by saying that I thoroughly enjoyed all of the Anita series, even the last couple. I read how awful they were, but I still liked them. I also really liked Micah and wanted to learn more about him. So imagine my excitement when I learned a book about him was coming out! I anticipated learning what was behind some of his looks and seeing if the other foot would drop in relation to his acceptance of Anita.

I was happy to learn how he became a lycanthrope and he opened up more about things that made him jealous. But that's it! I expected more to come out. The book was so short, it takes me longer to read stories in anthologies! And the way the publisher added a bazillion blank pages between chapters, probably to add length or something. Who knows...

But I was pretty disappointed. Now, I trust the Anita series enough to read Danse Macabre as soon as it comes out. However, I know I won't be looking forward to it with the same enthusiasm. I just have to keep telling myself that it has to be hard to satisfy such a large group of people after a dozen books, and a new husband *ahem*.

Then there's the excerpt from Danse Macabre in the back. Ronnie is such a bitch. She's been bugging the crap out of me for the past couple of books but that was the last straw.

Back to reality. I had three fillings today. I was so nervous about going to the dentist, one of my many medical fears. But it went well, lots of laughing gas :-) Two more fillings next week...

Looking forward to the weekend, I'm going to Washington D.C. for the first time for a conference. The hubby is coming with for the weekend. Good times.

I also decided to enter a few writing contests, four to be exact. All with deadlines throughout April so I need to get my butt in gear. I'm dreading the synopsis because it will force me to map out the rest of my book. :-(

No comments: