Saturday, March 25, 2006

1st or 3rd POV

I wish some things had a definitive answer in life. Such as first versus third person point of view. I swear it's one of the most frustrating things to think about when writing. On one hand, I constantly read about agents and editors and many authors saying that 3rd person is the only way to go. On the other hand, many of the books I read and enjoy (paranormal, specifically vamp ones) are written in 1st person. Especially when they are a series.
I began writing my MS in third and it just didn't seem right. I couldn't find the voice. It seemed more bland with less personality of the characters. I decided to give it a try in 1st and it seems to flow much better. I find that it's more humorous and there's more characterization. I get to know the heroine well because I'm writing in her voice. Then I get to know the hero through her, which I like.

Since I'm writing my book in a series and the romance is spread throughout, I also feel that 1st person frees me up a bit. When you dive into both character's heads, you learn their motivations faster (at least that's how it seems most of the time). But in first person, the reader would only learn the hero's motivations through what the heroine knows. And it allows me to throw in commentary where it would be awkward in 3rd.

Here is an example of my 3rd person version:"Let's go say hi to Bobby, he's working the bar." Jules grabbed the back of Bianca's arm, still tender from the earlier pinch. They walked toward the part of the bar where the intruiging man was sitting. Bianca took several deep breaths to avoid blushing from her embarassment of being caught staring at him.

Here is the current version in 1st person:“Let’s go say hi to Bobby, he’s working the bar.” Jules grabbed the back of my arm, which was still tender from her pinch I should add, and marched us toward the part of the bar where the über-hottie was sitting. I had to take several deep breaths to avoid blushing. Nothing was more embarrassing than being caught staring at someone, then having your half-wit friend take you straight over to where he was sitting. Talk about looking desperate.

Personally, I find the 1st person version more interesting. I feel it provides a bit more in relation to Bianca's personality because of the word choice, phrasing, etc. And it provides more information about Bianca and Jules' relationship.

If you disagree, I would love to hear it. If you think the 3rd works better, tell me why. If you prefer 1st, tell my why also. I would love some insight as to what people think. Do you think POV depends on genre, sub-genre, series or no series, etc?

Right now my biggest worry is finishing the book, feeling good about it, sending it to an agent and getting this as a response: "I liked the story and the characters, but I didn't like 1st person. I would have been more interested if it was in 3rd." Rewriting a 100k novel from 1st to 3rd? YIKES!

No comments: