Friday, May 19, 2006

Review: "Dark Lover" & "Lover Eternal" by J.R. Ward

Wow.

That's what comes to mind when I think of
these two books that I read in the past two days. I couldn't put them down, they were that good.

I originally didn't have a strong desire to read them right now. I kept hearing how fantastic they were and I'm the type who waits to read things that people go gaga over because I don't want to jump on the bandwagon. Same reason I haven't read Harry Potter yet. Blasphemy, I know.

But, I was between books and had those sitting in my TBR pile. Hot damn they are good! I loved them both, but Lover Eternal captivated me more. I am in love with these men. Yes, they're fictional but there J.R.'s characterization seems so real. I wish I were a shellan, that's for damn sure. They're so protective and entrhalled by their women.

And although the men have similar language and slang, she's done a fantastic job of making them unique characters. They sound like men, not a woman writing like a man. Plus, her modern incorporation into vampires is wonderful - especially the rap music. I love that. Usually people think heavy metal or goth with vampires, not rap.

These men are vicious and rowdy, but they're still likeable. Not to mention the women are great too. I actually like them, which I can't say for many heroines I read. I generally read for the heroes.

I know I'm rambling, but there are a lot of things running through my head. My first emotion is pure jealousy that I didn't think these up on my own. Dammit. That's quickly followed by happiness that I can read such great stories. At least they exist. The third emotion is need. I NEED to get a hold of Lover Awakened. I NEED to read Zsadist's story. I mean NOW. What do I have to do to get an ARC of that book? Tell me J.R., please tell me. September 5 is too far away.

I wholeheartedly recommend these books. The characters are fantastic, the mythology and the world is original and interesting, and the voice and writing is superb. I'm a devoted fan. Forever. Go buy these books, you won't regret it.

On second thought, don't buy them until the end of August because, like me, you'll be infuriated that you can't get a hold of Zsadist's story until September. You won't want to wait. Trust me on that. Lover Eternal leads into Zsadist's story so you're going to want to keep going.

No comments: