Wednesday, October 05, 2005

National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo)

I registered for NaNoWriMo yesterday. I'm looking forward to it, but not sure how I'm going to find the time with working full time, taking six graduate credits and freelancing. But it will be an interesting month.
I'm going to write a paranormal romance, yup, romance. I NEVER in a million years thought I'd read, let alone write a romance. I'd finished all of Anne Rice's vampire novels and was looking for something else. I stumbled upon a list of vampire books on Amazon that someone put together, basically a guide to vampire books. I bought Katie Macalister's vampire romance trio. I didn't realize they were romance when I bought them, but when I began reading I just couldn't put the books down. They were funny, romantic, great sex scenes and had a happy ending.

I then had a epiphony - I should write vampire romances. I've always wanted to write vampire novels, but I wasn't sure if I could make my characters as deep and dark as the author's I've read such as Anne Rice. I'd never read vampire characters like Katy Macalister or Lynsay Sands. It was so relieving to think I could write the love story with a vampire I always wanted, while keeping it light-hearted and fun instead of dark and dreary.

Here's my plot so far:My novel, titled "To Dream of a Vampire," is a parnormal romance about vampires, and is the first in a potential series. This is the plot so far, but I seem to make little changes all of the time.
Bianca has had the same dream her whole life (she's in her mid-20s during the time of the novel). It shows her waking up on a bench in the middle of a garden maze. She begins wandering through the maze (it's at night) and comes to a castle. She sees a man in the window staring at her, then the dream stops.

The backstory to the dream is that her mother was a part of a vampire worshipping cult. She was impregnated by a man in the cult, who injected blood from the vampire leader into his veins. Thus Bianca was born with vampire blood. That makes her a half/quasi vampire. She doesn't need to eat/drink blood, but she does have a great immune system and has heightened senses.

Back to present day, she is on a trip to Scotland with her best friend Jules. She is traveling the country taking pictures and studying castles for a book. Her first stop is a castle owned by Flavius, who happens to be a vampire. Throughout the book he strongly courts Bianca, but she can't get herself to be interested because she's fixated on the man she dreams about.

The man in her dream, Dorian, also lives in Edinburgh, Scotland. There are a couple of plot points that have Dorian and Bianca meeting for the first (and second time) before going on a date. She finds herself drawn to him for some unknown reason and the romance develops throughout the book.

The climax occurs when Flavius learns of Dorian and Bianca and he tries to hold her hostage and turn her to a vampire. If a vampire joins with a human born with vampire blood, they become incredibly powerful. But if the human joins with the vampire of the blood she has in her system, they are unstoppable. Dorian fights Flavius and rescues Bianca.

At the end, Dorian takes Bianca to his castle. She wakes up, on a bench, in a garden maze, goes through the dream sequence - but it's actually happening. So Dorian is the man of her dreams, literally. She goes upstairs, they talk, make love, the end.

So, we'll see how it goes beginning November 1, the start of NaNoWriMo.

No comments: