Friday, November 11, 2005

So far, so good

I'm a slack-ass when it comes to this journal thing. I didn't realize it's been five days since posting. Oh well, I've been busy with NaNo so I have an excuse.

The writing has been going well so far. As of right now, I have 7,266 words. Pure crap, but at least it's written. I keep telling myself that I can change it later but that sounds so daunting! It's going to be a total rewrite because my brainspew is exactly that, spew, upchuck, barf. But, once again, at least it's out of my brain and on paper.

I've been pretty much going in chronological order. But I had an idea for some dialogue at the end so I wrote that, and I keep going back to stuff I've written to add things in that I think about later.

I am happy that I spent so much time thinking, planning and plotting. I would have ripped my hair out by now. But I also see why people like to see what shows up on the screen when we type blindly. I've been having a combination of both.

For example, I knew that my hero and heroine would "officially" meet at the Highlander Ball. She'd be exploring the castle (she's writing a book on castles) and go into a room where she found him snooping in the dark. He's a vampire so he can see well in the dark.

I also knew that the conflict in the story would primarily be the bad guy against the hero and heroine. I had an idea of what the conflict would be, but not much more than that. I couldn't plot how she would find out about and plant little seeds of doubt and stuff.

But low and behold as I'm typing the scene after the hero and heroine meet and she goes back to the ball to tell her best friend, who is snogging with a waiter at the party, and began typing an on the fly idea. After the girls left, the waiter goes to report to the owner of the castle and party-thrower (the bad guy) about the girls. He reports that the girls met the hero and then we learn a bit of backstory and foreshadowing to the climax.

This would probably be more meaningful and make sense if I actually explained the storyline a bit. But maybe that will come another day.

So all in all, I'm happy that I spent time pouring over the plot and I'm also pleasantly surprised by what gets written in the spur of the moment and how it can help advance a story.

Back to writing. If I could only include what I wrote here in my word count I'd be so much closer...

No comments: