Sunday, July 09, 2006

Review: Angel with Attitude by Michelle Rowen


From the back cover:

Falling naked into the killer whale tank at MarineLand is always bad news, but it's a real bummer when you've just been kicked out of Heaven. Former angel Valerie Grace is determined to reverse her banishment -- Earth's just no fun. Her best friend is a slightly perverted human-turned-rat (note to self: never cross a powerful witch) and she's being tailed by a sexy Tempter Demon named Nathaniel who's trying to lure her to Hell with kisses that are almost worth the trip.

With the talking rodent sneaking peeks down her shirt and Nathaniel getting more irresistible every minute, this ex-angel has only one hope: find the stolen Key to Heaven and go home. Then the oddest thing happens -- Nathaniel starts to show signs of loyalty and love. And soon Val is asking herself if it is such a bad thing to have the hots for a demon.

Let me start by saying - I loved it. Michelle Rowen's writing and wit really works for me. When I'm looking for a light, humorous read there are only a few authors I know I can turn to and get what I'm looking for and Rowen is definitely in that category.

The concept of this book was great. A fallen angel named Valerie Grace (I love the name) must face a tempter demon whose sole purpose is to tempt her down to hell, while she's trying to make her way back to Heaven. She has no idea why she was kicked out of paradise and when she eventually learns the reason, it doesn't make any sense. But Rowen's great writing helps the reader understand why she was kicked out, even if Grace didn't.

The secondary characters like Reggie the womanizer-turned-rat by his witchy girlfriend, and the seven-foot-tall demon who writes romances, kept the book very entertaining. The reader meets a lot of other creative characters while Grace takes a trip to the Underworld to obtain the Key to Heaven, namely biker fairies.

Rowen did a great job with the plot throughout the book and the conflict. How can there not be conflict when the hero and heroine are an angel and a demon? I also appreciated how Rowen was able to make Nathaniel, the hero, lovable even while he was doing his demonic duties.

I would also like to say that I really liked the ending and the twist at the end (I won't give it away) of why Valerie was kicked from Heaven. It was a realistic ending, which is a nice turn from many romances that end unbelievably with the hero and heroine getting married after knowing each other less than a week. You'll still get your happily ever after ending, don't worry!

If you're looking for a funny, creative book with entertaining and lovable characters, and fresh ideas (a rarity these days), then run out and get Angel with Attitude. Click on the picture above to go straight to Amazon to order it, and while you're at it grab her first book Bitten & Smitten. She's currently working on the sequel to that.

Also, swing by my Web site to read an informative interview with Rowen where she shares with us how she writes and edits her books. I'm always fascinated to learn how other people write, and I love to pick up tips.

1 comment:

Lisa Pulliam said...

WTF? I posted this about a week ago. Grrr, blogger. Well, lets see when blogger decides to post my entries from last week. Computers are not my friend.