Monday, June 12, 2006

Writing progress

Do you want the good news or bad news?

Let's get the worst of it done then. According to the schedule I gave myself last month, I should be waaaaaaay closer to the end than I am. I wanted to have a solid draft done before RWA for agent/editor appointments. But, I didn't get an appointment. However, I hope to do a walk-up pitch - if I can grow the cajones. So - need to get crack-a-lackin.

The good news is I began incorporating the contest feedback yesterday. I hope to have that finished up today so I can send it off to a wonderful person who offered to rip it apart. Thank you! :-) Ripping apart is good, that's the only way to make it better. A friend of mine thinks I'm crazy for wanting someone to tell me what's wrong with it. But as I told her, I'd rather hear it from someone critiquing me than an agent or editor and get rejected.

I still hope to have a good draft by RWA. I'm going to have a lot more free time pretty soon. In the meantime, I'm trying to work out some plot kinks and do a little outlining. I'm taking part in an online plot workshop right now. I'll let y'all know how it goes once it's over.

I'm also reading lots of articles on showing vs. telling. That's a weakness of mine. I'm a big teller.

Here's the big countdown folks: 42 days until I leave for RWA Nationals. I signed up to work the registration table all day Wednesday, so hopefully I'll meet those of you I only know online.

I will leave you today with a pearl of my wisdom, savor it as it may be my last: I became a writer so I could tell. If I wanted to show, wouldn't I be a painter?

1 comment:

Elisabeth Naughton said...

42 days???? Holy crapoli.

Good thing I have you around to keep me on my toes.