Thursday, January 19, 2006

Back on the wagon

I've been on somewhat of a hiatus since NaNoWriMo. Once I hit 50k and really started trying to figure out where my story was going, I ran into a brick wall. There wasn't enough conflict, the characters weren't what I wanted them to be, etc.

So I decided to read as much paranormal romance as I could as fast as possible. I joined three book clubs and got a ton of books for really, really, really cheap. I read the Sookie Stackhouse series, Undead series, half of the Anita Blake series, part of the Dark series, and some other random books.

It was the best thing I could have done. I broke some of the barriers I had set up for myself and what my characters could and should be. I also got more ideas of how to lay out a book. And the thought never crossed my mind that I could have the same main characters go through several books, which is what I've decided to do.

I really liked how the Undead, Sookie and Anita series have done that. So having read about 20 books in the past month, I feel like I'm ready to begin writing again. So I have!

I decided to start over on my NaNoWriMo novel. Instead of it taking place in Scotland, it's taking place in Portland, Oregon where I'm from. Knowing the area will help me with my first book I think.

I also decided that the heroine will be more on the spunky side. She seemed boring in my first attempt, but now I'm enjoying her.

So now I'm off, again, to finish my first manuscript. I'm feeling more confident and jazzed about it than the first time.

The only thing left is for me to take a couple of books I really liked and go through them to make a plot outline. That should help me plan my own book and make sure it flows fast enough for publishing standards.

My goal is still to have the manuscript prepared by the RT convention in May. I hoped, and planned, to go to it but I don't think it's going to happen. Disapointing, but such is life.

Back in the saddle folks, wish me luck!

No comments: