Thursday, April 05, 2007

Obsessive is the way to go

I'm trying to turn a new leaf in everything. Write more. Keep my house in good shape. Be more organized. Be healthier. Etc. So far, so good. My house is starting to look pretty nice, I actually like spending time there now. I've worked on my book a bit. And I've been eating healthy and working out.

Something I've learned is that healthy eating is a struggle for me. It's not like I go get fast food everyday, or eat two pounds of pasta, my bad habit is eating processed foods because they are easy, cheap and quick. I hate to cook. I also struggle in trying to figure out what to eat, so I get frustrated and just grab a box of something.

Well I ain't gonna get healthy doing that. So, I put on my worn-out and overused obsessive hat and went to work. I have typed up menu pages with meal options for breakfast, lunch, dinner and a snack. Listing calories and such so I can quickly glance at options. I have also wrtiten out a daily plan listing the food I'll eat and my work-out. The food is broken down into things like 11 almonds, a tablespoon of salad dressing, 2/3 cup of cottage cheese, etc. I'm really crackin' down, folks.

But this is the piece de resistance (I have no idea how that's spelled, forgive me), I measured out ALL of my food. The other night I labeled ziplock bags to "hamburger," "turkey breast," "chicken," and "turkey sausage." The meats found in my daily food plan. They are all very, very lean cuts.

Then, I saw that the hamburger recipe called for 4 ounces, the turkey breast for 3.5 ounces, etc. So I grabbed my handy food scale and measured all the meat into those increments and put them in the labeled ziplocks for immediate freezer action. So my freezer is full of about 50 or 60 labeled ziplocks.

But it doesn't stop there. I have these mini tupperware containers that I have filled with tiny amounts of fat free mayo, sugar free jelly, unsalted peanut butter, whole almonds - some of the other things found in the meals.

And some meals call for two cups of salad, so I have measured that out into ziplock bags as well. And to prevent overdoing it on the salad dressing, I bought those new bottles of spray salad dressing in italian and balsamic vinigarette varieties. Both are rather good and only one calorie per squirt!

Have you imagined what my fridge looks like at this point? You may ask yourself why in the hell I would go through all that trouble. Well, I finally know myself well enough to confidently claim that if my food is not prepackaged, measured and ready to go, I won't go through the trouble of doing it when I'm hungry. Now it only takes me a couple minutes to grab the food and head to work.

You also may be thinking to yourself, "that's no way to live! Where's the freedom in the food?" First of all, I'm a super duper uper picky eater and only eat certain things anyway. Second, by eating so strict most days, I can afford a little splurge if I go to dinner with friends or something.

After only a couple of days, I feel so much better. It's amazing how much processed foods can make a person feel like crap without knowing it. I had no idea how crappy I felt until I started eating mostly fresh foods.

Anyone else as crazy as me and ever try something like this? We'll see if I keep it up, but I have some motivation to keep me going this time.

And the point of blogging this today was not to scare you or make you think I'm crazier than you already do, it's now out in the public and when I'm on the verge of quitting (as I'm sure will happen once or twice), I'll force myself to read it all over again.

Do you have any tips that got you healthier? Be it weight loss, lower cholesterol, more energy, etc.

Now if only I could start enjoying exercise...

11 comments:

Paty Jager said...

Lisa, I went on the Blood Type diet a few years ago and once I started eating the food that were right for my type, I not only lost weight I felt better! So you are on the right track!

As for exercise- Do you like to dance? Put on some fun, fast, funky music and dance away for 1/2 and hour. If you do that every day, that will not only work off the pounds but start getting you in shape to do other types of exercise if you want.

Happy Healthy! If you need a kick in the butt when you start lagging let me know!

Princess in Galoshes said...

Wow.

I do not think I could do that. But I think it would be healthy for me if I did. Kudos.

Lisa Pulliam said...

Paty, I haven't heard of the Blood Type Diet. It sounds like a great approach, just by the name. I'm going to google it :) And great idea about the dancing! I've tried that before, but totally forgot about it, lol.

Princess, I'll save your kudos for a few weeks to see if I'm still doing it :P Easy to begin, not so easy to keep up.

Anonymous said...

Great for you Lisa! I wish you all the luck you can handle. I've had 9 months to get skinny for Mexico and I've not lost anything. Zero, zip, zilch, nothing. So, I get to go to Mexico fat. Lucky me.

This obsessive way you're going sounds like it's going to work awesome. I'm so impressed with how you've measured and planned and figured out how to be ready to eat at the drop of a hat. That's what I'm going to have to do. Measure and have it ready to go, otherwise I eat whatever is in front of my face.

Good luck with the exercising too. Paty's idea of dancing is a great one. My mom used to go dancing at the bars with her friends (in the late 70's early 80's) and she was a skinny little rail then. She's not anymore, but she was very tiny then, and all from dancing.

I'm not encouraging the bar dancing thing, lol, but the living room or kitchen might work. :)

Jazzercise is fun, but I don't know if they offer it anywhere anymore. I used to do it when I was in high school and I was in awesome shape.

I hope this really works for you. If you need to whine or complain about sore muscles, just let me know. LOL

Happy exercising and eating right! I know you can do it!

Barbara said...

Congratulations, Lisa! You're not obsessive -- you're just well-organized. That's what it takes. I cook for two and do some of that dividing things up into dinner-size portions before freezing. I didn't know about the spray salad dressings, but I'm eager to try them. I sometimes use rice vinegar or freshly-squeezed lemon on my salad instead of dressing. I, too, like the dancing idea. I also use exercise videos, and I walk everywhere I can. But I've found that 20 minutes of lifting weights or riding my exercise bicycle (on alternate days) before breakfast keeps me fit to do anything else I like to do. It wasn't until I started doing it before breakfast that I could form a solid habit of exercising daily, and now I love it and miss it if I'm traveling. Also, if the house keeps falling back into CHAOS (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome), you might enjoy the Flylady.com website and newsletter. It has helped me a lot. Happy Spring!

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Oh, Barbara's wrong. You are obsessive. ;) But it's a good way to be. We obsessive types tend to go places *grin*

You will learn to love exercise. Er, okay, you'll learn to tolerate it because in the end it makes you feel so much better. (Says she who worked legs today in a different routine and is now sorry she did so - I'm sore!!!)

How's it going? Did the measuring and bagging help the past few days?

Anonymous said...

I went on one of those expensive weight loss programs and their solution was much the same as yours. Portion out and weigh what you're going to eat and plan it ahead of time so you don't have to 'grab anything last minute.'
I lost 40 lbs on that. Then I went off the diet, thought I could do what I wanted again - now the weight is back. ((SOB))
I like your plan. I think I'll try it. Thx for the ideas!

Erica Orloff said...

Wow . . . what an inventive way to deal with the urge to grab something packaged. Great idea--obsessive or not. It sounds like it will work.

I follow an macrobiotic diet and rarely, if ever, break it. By embracing a philosophy throughout my life (I don't see Western medicine doctors but instead see a Traditional Chinese Medicine doctor plus an acupuncturist), and as a Buddhist through prayer and so on . . . it's easy to follow through with the eating. So that's what works for me. It's a whole way of life.
E

Kay Richardson said...

YO LISA. WHATTSUP?

Lift Heavy Rock said...

I enjoy exercising! Eating burns at least 10 calories an hour!

Lift Heavy Rock said...

Does you new leaf include blogging more? ;)